top of page

OUR HISTORY

BEAVER DAM MISSIONARY BAPTIST CHURCH HISTORY

 

     Around 1880, the ancestors of this church had been attending the nearby Piney Green Baptist Church, a local white Baptist Church located presently on High House Road in Clinton. During this time, our future founders were forced to sit  in the balcony of the church during  worship.  Several of our founders had been recently freed from slavery after the passage of the 13th Amendment from the Whitley- Royal Plantation located near the church in Sampson County. It is here to our understanding that from this experience, they wanted to have their own church.  During this time, eighteen years after the abolishment of slavery and six years following the end of the Reconstruction Era in America, a few of our ancestors gathered up enough nerves to ask one of the white landowners, the family of the late Mrs. Colin Parker, whose home was located on property across the street from our current location and was a member of the Piney Green Church, to sell/give them a plot of land for a church. They had been worshiping together for several years before the land was deeded to them. This land had been purchased by Confederate Colonel JE Parker following his service in the American Civil War.  On December 26, 1883, the current site was donated and deeded to the “Colored Missionary Baptist Church at Beaver Dam.”  The name “Beaver Dam'' either originated from the name of the swamp located nearby or a local Native American tribe at the time of the church’s founding. According to the deed, the church was deeded a house with a 50 yard square in the Honeycutt township of Sampson County, North Carolina. It was located west of the “old road Beaverdam Branch and Pocoson.”The church membership at that time consisted of the neighboring families: The Royal,  Butler, and Goodman families. According to our church records, the following persons were members of the original church body:

  • Brother Hardy Brewington

  • Brother George Williams

  • Brother Joe Saul Goodman

  • Brother Issac Royal

  • Brother Jonus Butler

  • Brother Nixon Pope

  • Brother Sim Farmer

  • Brother Hubbard Butler

These persons and their families physically converted the donated house into an official church building by building the first church edifice on the church property. The church congregation was made up of mainly Black and Croatan Native Americans members. According to one of the forefathers of our church, Deacon Samuel Butler, Sr., the original site of the church was across the street from the current structure. It was completely destroyed by fire in 1911. .   But with their determination and the help of the Lord, they completed and built the current sanctuary a short time later. Beaver Dam Missionary Baptist Church is the mother of several other churches within the area which broke off during the formative years of Beaver Dam Baptist Church. The church well, located to the left of the sanctuary, was used by our ancestors predating the late 1960’s and is still operable.

In 1892, a few members of the church asked to be dismissed from the church due to a disgruntlement. These members then joined together and created our sister church, Bearskin Missionary Baptist Church. A few years later, a few other members decided to part ways with the church and created another sister church, Running Branch Church of Christ. Throughout the years,  our church has been able to connect and revitalize our relationship with these churches and its members.

  The first recorded pastor was Rev. James Hardison.  Through the past 140  years, we have had various ministers and pastors who served as leaders of this church. Traditionally in the area, ministers would travel through a circuit of churches throughout the county and minister to several churches at a time. Thus many of our ministers would render the morning messages at the Beaver Dam Baptist Church on a given Sunday and then another local church the next Sunday. Among these former ministers and pastors are: 

Rev. Brown

Rev. Tate

Rev. Gregory

Rev. Weamon Melvin

Rev. Dove Calvin

Rev. VA Carter

Rev. Charles Thomas (C.T.) Underwood

Rev. Dr. H. H. Hart

Rev. Raeford

Rev. Harrison

Rev. Jerry Williams 

Rev. Willie E. Beamon 

Rev. Willie James (WJ) Boykin 

Rev. C.A. Leach

Rev. Fred Henry Evans (Junior Pastor)

Rev. James Clarity

Rev. Dr. Walter O. Whitfield

Rev. Hermon Bell 

Rev.Bernard Hayes 

Rev. Jeremy A. Jones

Rev. Adrian J. Bullock 

 

Over the course of 140 years several deacons have been ordained from the womb of the church. Among these include:

  • Brother Willie Wortham- Sampson County Grave Digger

  • Brother Issac Royal

  • Brother Prince Albert Leak- noted city biker

  • Brother Willie Butler Sr

  • Brother Jim Butler

  • Brother Samuel Butler

  • Brother Josiah Saul Goodman

  • Brother Hubbard Butler

  • Brother Sim Farmer

  • Brother Cliff Staton- Harpman

  • Brother Timmy Butler

  • Sister Louise Butler

  • Sister Dixie Butler Payton

  • Brother Samuel “Tom” Butler, Jr.

In addition to deacons, associate ministers play a key role in religious services, funerals, worship, and support the pastor and deacons with the work of the church. During the church’s early years, pastors from the local area would aid in leading the church in worship and other religious functions. Several of these associate ministers include:

  • Rev. Billy Thompson

  • Rev. Carolyn Thompson

  • Rev. Eric Grant

  • Rev. Freddie Rogers

 

When the church was founded, Beaver Dam Baptist Church was connected to the Kernersville Eastern Missionary Baptist Association. Later, the church became actively involved with the West Union Baptist Association (which later became the Western Union Missionary Baptist Association), which was founded in 1904. In its early years the church was represented to the association body by members H. B. Pope, J. S. Goodman, Nicholas Pope, and H. B. Butler. During this period, Reverend Charles Thomas (CT) Underwood, was called to serve as the pastor of the church. Under his leadership Rev. Underwood, who was a member of the executive board of the association, worked tirelessly to ensure that the church played a vital role within the organization. Rev. Underwood served as pastor for two years.

 

During the first several decades of the church, the congregation was led by several ministers. Though many of their tenures were not long, each played a significant role in the progress and work of our church. These former pastors include:

  • Rev. Brown

  • Rev. Tate

  • Rev. Gregory

Rev. Weamon Melvin

  • Rev. Dove Calvin

  • Rev. VA Carter

 With each transition, the church continued to have ministers render Sunday messages while the church sought its next pastor. One of the more notable pastors of our church of his time was Rev. Dr. H. H. Hart of Winton, NC. Dr. Hart began his tenure as pastor in 1923. Rev. Hart served also as pastor of First Baptist Church Clinton, NC. Rev. Hart concluded his pastorate of Beaver Dam Baptist Church in 1929 to take on the pastorate of First Calvary Baptist Church of Durham,NC and become a strong advocate for Shaw University before his death in 1953.

 

During the 1940’s the men of the church connected with other local congregations to create the Union Male Choir. The name was changed years later to the Community Male Chorus, which still is in service today. During this period,  the church was pastored by Rev. Willie Beamon. Rev. Beamon concluded his tenure to take on the pastorate of New Christian Baptist Church. Rev. Beamon would return yearly to lead the annual summer revivals. It was also during this time that the church connected with its sister churches, Littlefield Missionary Baptist Church and Bearskin Baptist Church under the leadership of Brother Herman Melvin to create the county-wide singing union which was used to emphasize the work of the youth within the church. During this period, Rev. WE Beamon served his first term as pastor of the church. He later stepped down to serve as pastor of New Christian Chapel Baptist Church of Rose Hill, NC.

 

During the period of the 1950’s and 60’s the American Civil Rights Movement began to heat up within the nation. It was also during this period several pastors took the helm as pastor of Beaver Dam Missionary Baptist Church. Among these were:

  • Rev. Jerry Williams (1952-1957)

  • Rev. Willie Beamon, second term, (1959-1967). 

During this period the church congregation hosted the Western Union Baptist Association Home and Foreign Missions Union on March 16, 1958 with Rev. Williams, now former pastor, as the service preacher. The church continued its tradition of observing its summer revival in July and annual youth day Sunday worship services each year. 

From this period to our current time, revival services featured some of the following ministers:

  • Rev. Dixon

  • Rev. WE Beamon

  • Rev. Fred Evans

  • Rev. Lamb

Following his tenure Rev. Williams accepted the call to serve as pastor of Elizabeth Baptist Church of Autryville, NC. The Sunday service programs were written and copied by Sister Eula Butler Lamb and Sister Hall. Deacon HB Butler was instrumental in bringing children and youth to the church using his personal horse and wagon as church transportation. Under Pastor Beamon’s leadership monthly worship services moved from 2nd Sunday to 3rd Sunday each month. The church cemetery was created with the interment of Sister Mary Butler following her passing on May 16, 1960. Rev. Beamon went on to accept the call to pastor the Second Baptist Church of Fayetteville, NC in 1967 and served as moderator of the Middle District Baptist Association. During this period baptismal services took place during the annual summer revivals held in July. The location of the baptism services was at a pond owned by Mr. Jake Sutton, behind the campus of our sister church, Bearskin Missionary Baptist Church. This was later changed when the church used a pond owned by Mr. Otis Strickland, friend of the church, located a mile north from the Beaver Dam Baptist Church campus. 

 

This period also saw growth for the church congregation and well as the church structure. Rev. Willie James (WJ) Boykin, a retired World War II veteran, was elected as pastor in 1967. The Junior Choir (now Combined Choir) was established and indoor plumbing and restrooms were installed to replace outside lavatories along the property line. The original church cafeteria (fellowship hall), hallway, and Sunday school rooms were added to the church building. Due to space issues, many food-related church programs remained outside during the spring-summer period along the church property line. There, the congregation would fellowship over potluck dinners over the chicken-wire tables created for such functions. The pews in the sanctuary were brought out of the church building to seat members and visitors. Rev. Boykin advocated the church’s connections to the Western Union Missionary Baptist Association and also served as moderator for the association during his tenure as pastor. Rev. Boykin stepped down as pastor in 1972.

 

During seasons of transition for the church members such as Deacon Samuel Butler Sr. and others helped to ensure that church bills were paid, building was up-to-date and the work of ministry continued for the congregation. 

 

During the 1970’s as the country prepared to celebrate its bicentennial, Beaver Dam Baptist Church continued to remain strong within the Sampson County community. Rev. C.A. Leach was elected pastor in 1973. He served the church for three years until 1976. Following his tenure, the church prayed and then selected Rev. James K. Clardia to serve as the next pastor in 1978. For two years Rev. Clarida served as the undershepherd of the church. During this period, Rev. Fred Henry Evans served as the first and only junior pastor within the history of the church. On October 21, 1979, in celebration of the church’s 96th church anniversary, the first church history was collected, written, and documented by Sister Maxine B. Wall. Her report was taken from the oral history shared by Deacon Samuel Butler, former chair of the church’s diaconate. Rev. James K. Clarida resigned as pastor in 1980.

 

Rev. Dr. Walter O. Whitfield was elected pastor in 1980.  Under Dr. Whitfield’s leadership the church updated its heating and air conditioning units which were donated to the church by Lewis Chapel Baptist Church of Fayetteville. The four kerosine gas heaters in the sanctuary were replaced with a central system. Dr. Whitfield stepped down as pastor to establish the New Mission Baptist Church in Fayetteville, North Carolina in 1985.

 

The Reverend Herman Bell was elected pastor in 1987. Under his leadership, the church saw several improvements and upgrades to the church structure. Pastor Bell, a brick mason by trade, and the leadership of the church led the congregation into the following improvements for the church:

 

  • Church building exterior bricked

  • Church sign completed

  • Renovation and enlargements of church cafeteria hall, which required the removal of previous classrooms

  • Renovation and enlargement of the pastoral office

  • Restroom facilities were moved from the cafeteria to the front lobby

  • Stained glass windows were installed

  • Church ceiling was raised

  • Pews were reupholstered

  • Recessed lights were installed in the sanctuary

  • Front porch to the church was enlarged. 

These renovations were completed in 1996. Brother Billy Thompson was ordained as deacon during this period. Brother Johnnie Butler began recording special services and programs at the church. Sister Mary Sweat contributed to this work by donating DVDs to distribute to ill and long-distance members. The church began having Sunday worship every 1st and 3rd Sunday of the month. Sister Donna Butler and Sister Sandra Richardson worked to expand the annual Women’s Day program to the current Women’s Weekend program held annually on the third Sunday in May. In 1999, Rev. Bell stepped down as pastor of the church.

 

As the church moved towards the millennium of 2000, the church faced a difficult season within its ministry with the loss of members, financial woes, and seeking a new pastor. The church however held strong and named Reverend Bernard Hayes as its next pastor in 2001. A native of Fayetteville, NC the call from Beaver Dam Baptist Church was Rev. Hayes’ first pastorate following his initial sermon in December 1999. During Rev. Hayes tenure the church saw numerical growth in its membership. Under his leadership the church selected its first vision statement, “A Church Under Construction.” The church mortgage was paid off. The 5th Sunday worship service was launched. Weekly Bible studies were updated to include books such as “Experiencing God.” Homecoming meals took place at Jones Lake starting at this point. The Dance Ministry was established with Sisters Timberly and Tierra Butler, Spring Stuart and Tierra Thompson.  The Wille and Polly Butler family began incorporating morning worship services at the church into their annual reunions. The church quarterly newsletter was created. Donations were raised and spearheaded by members Sister Rochelle Butler Stuart, Deacon Samuel Butler Jr., and Sister Mary Sweatt to see to additional changes to the church property. These included:

  • Paved sidewalks

  • Recarpeting of sanctuary

  • Purchase of new pulpit furniture

  • New lighting added

  • New sound system added

  • Updates to church cafeteria (fellowship hall) windows

  • New blinds to cafeteria (fellowship hall) windows

  • Church drums were donated

  • Church choir robes were donated 

The church steeple was added following funds raised by the Willie and Polly Butler Family Reunion. Pastor Hayes and the church began a monthly radio broadcast aired within the Sampson County area. Brother Samuel Butler Jr. was ordained as a deacon. The church also ordained its first women deacons: 

  • Sister Louise Butler

  •  Sister Dixie Payton 

The following ministers were licensed and ordained into the Gospel Ministry:

  • Minister Billy Thompson

  • Minister Carolyn Thompson

Rev. Carolyn and Billy Thompson were the first ministers licensed and ordained at the church. Rev. Freddie Rogers and Rev. Eric Grant also served as associate ministers at the church.

Following the passing of Sister Bertha Butler in 2001, her children donated to the church body a gated fence to house the cemetery. The Samuel and Bertha Butler Scholarship Fund was established. Upon his death, Deacon Isaac Royal bequeathed an endowment to the church in 2013. Rev. Hayes led the church to begin using the internet by creating a temporary website, www.revbernardhayes.org. The Dime Fundraiser was established. In 2015, Rev. Bernard Hayes accepted the pastorate of South End Baptist Church of Fayetteville, NC.

 

Following a brief period of transition and the referral of another local pastor, the church selected Rev. Jeremy A. Jones, a third generation Baptist minister, to be its next pastor in 2016. During Rev. Jones’ pastorate the church instituted a hybrid weekly Bible Study and The Daily Bread Devotional book as its adopted study guide. The church praise team was established. Baptisms took place at our sister church, Bearskin Missionary Baptist Church. In 2019, the executive board voted to launch the 2020 vision, inspired by Sister Sandra Richardson, to begin the search of paving the church first parking lot. Pastor Jones and the church recruited church and community members to support the project. Holy communion was moved from 1st Sunday worship services to 3rd Sunday worship services. In March 2020, Beaver Dam Baptist Church moved all of its activities including Sunday morning worship online due to the Coronavirus Pandemic. Facebook and YouTube pages were created. It was also during this time that Rev. Jones received a Master of Divinity degree from Shaw University Divinity School. Due to rezoning in Sampson County, NC, the church address was changed from “3130 Odom Road” to “3151 Odom Road.” In March 2021, Rev Jeremy Jones officially ended his tenure as pastor. 

 

During the transition period, the Deacons and Executive Ministry led by Deacon Timmy Butler, helped the church to navigate while in search of the next pastor. The church asked Minister Adrian Bullock, youth minister of West Durham Baptist Church in Durham, NC to render the Sunday morning messages virtually until March 2022. During this period a new Facebook and YouTube page was created for the church.  updates were made to the pastor’s office, lobby, and main restrooms. In March 2022, church services returned to the church building for worship. In September 2022, the church elected the now Rev. Adrian J. Bullock, following his ordination in August 2022 and receiving his Master of Divinity degree from Campbell University Divinity School in May 2022, as pastor. At the age of 26 years old, the church called its youngest pastor to serve the church in its 140 year history. His tenure began in January 2023. During Rev. Bullock’s tenure live-streaming was enhanced to record Sunday morning worship celebrations. The church adopted its official logo in early 2023. Led by Sister Markeetia Lamb, the church purchased its official church polo shirts. Brother Johnnie Butler and Sister Nikki Stuart served and created the first Audio/ Visual Ministry of the church. Online giving platforms (Tithe.ly and Givelify) were created, helping to create a boost in congregational giving. The Beaver Dam Missionary Baptist Church website (www.BDMBC.org) was created, the first operating church website within the Western Union Missionary Baptist Association. Online Bible Studies were enhanced and moved from conference call to Zoom media platform. The church updated its YouTube and Facebook sites. The church observed Holy Week with its first Maundy Thursday communion worship. Voicemail was added to the church phone line. Deacons Timmy and Samuel Butler worked to secure contractors for the creation of the parking lot. The groundbreaking for the parking lot took place on May 7, 2023 was officially completed and dedicated on July 2, 2023. The official wall of pastors was erected in the church cafeteria, led by Deacon Louise Butler and the Hospitality/Homecoming Ministry. All exterior doors were updated. Screens were incorporated into the sanctuary for worship and church activities. The church history was updated through written and oral form. The church archives were created. The church celebrated its 140th church anniversary the weekend of October 14th-15th, 2023. This celebration included a time-capsule, launch of the 140 Campaign, and several celebratory activities. The first Joint End-Of-Year Worship Celebration was created between Beaver Dam Baptist Church, Bearskin Baptist Church, and Elizabeth Missionary Baptist Church. Sister Virginia Scott and Sister Barbara Watson created the first Prayer Ministry of the church. Brother Sy and Sister Nikki Stuart worked and created the first TikTok page for the church.

    The church has achieved many of its goals and we will plan, devise, rewrite and search for even higher and more reachable goals. Through prayer, faith and perseverance, we will continue the work that our forefathers started 140 years ago.













 

Original History Version-1979

Rev. James K. Clarida, Pastor (1978-80)

The Late Deacon Samuel Butler, Sr.-Originator

Sister Maxine Butler Wall, Clerk- Recorder

Printed Version-1995

Rev. Herman Bell, Pastor (1985-1999)

Sister Maxine Butler Wall, Clerk- Recorder

Edited 140 Year History Version- 2023

Rev. Adrian J. Bullock, Pastor- Editor

Sister Maxine Butler Wall, Clerk-Editor

Deacon Louise Butler, Deacon Tim Butler, Sister Donna Butler, Sister Frances Butler-Copyreader

Members of Beaver Dam Missionary Baptist Church, Contributors 

Brother Johnny Pridgen (FBC-Clinton), Contributor

Brother Larry Sutton, Contributor

Our Church History

IMG_5588.PNG

Our Mission

Our mission as the Beaver Dam Missionary Baptist Church is to positively impact the spiritual  growth and development of each member by incorporating the disciplines of spending time with the Master, living in the Word, praying in faith, fellowshipping with believers, witnessing to the world, and ministering to others.

bottom of page